Happy Days Quilting

A blog about Applique and Quilting

Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday

I have been trying out fused applique with a straight edge stitch, with swirls on the leaves, the sewing itself went well, but I don't like the way the edges tend to fray a bit, it drives me nuts!!... the fusing that I used was Steam a seam 2, so I have bought some Heat n Bond lite to try instead.

The applique is done the same time as the quilting, which is great as the project has moved along quite quickly.

I have also had a go at Mc Tavishing, but with added bananas and bubbles, and I'm really pleased with the texture that they create.

This post has been linked to Freshly Pieced.
And also Esther's Blog.

Happy Quilting!


Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Work in progress

My new project is a sewing machine cover for my beloved Bernina 440 QE.
I am using up left over applique roses from this small wall hanging

The threads that you can see are from the bindings decorative stitch, it was a complete pain in the butt to sew and I was pulling my hair out by the time I finished it, so in a childish fit I have never buried the threads! It is on my to do list now thou

which hangs above my sewing machine, it will have to budge over thou for my Roses around the Log cabin quilt that will be hung there instead, my sewing room/dining room will be all co ordinated.

I am going to try some new techniques, I started with a new gadget that I had for my birthday, its the Applique pressing sheet, it made assembling the flowers a breeze.
I am going to try my hand at free motioning the Mc Tavishing stitch and have been busy drawing out the design and sewing on a practice piece.
The applique is raw edge and I am going to straight stitch along the edge this time and not do blanket stitch as I did when sewing the small wall hanging.
I want the cover to be boxed, so will be busy researching tutorials over the next couple of days.

This post is linked to WIP over at  Freshly Pieced  pop along and enjoy some lovely projects!

Happy quilting!


Monday, 16 May 2011

A finally its finished!

Thank goodness my quilt with its new name of Roses around the log cabin is finished.
I can't tell how pleased I am to move on to some new projects, even thou it was a pleasure to make, the length of time it took really got on my wick!!

Some Quilty Pictures

Some Quilty facts

Its made up of 16 log cabin blocks
I used fat quarters of eight different tones four of pinks/red and four of greens. Plus an extra metre of the red
It has both hand applique and blanket stitch
The quilting is free motion feathers and invisible thread around the applique
It was spray basted (My first time spray basting)
The pattern is not my own but one adapted from a book by Keiko Miyauchi called Applique Flowers
It took months to complete January-to last Monday
It will be hung above my sewing machine
It is 48 inches square

I promise not to blog about it ever again!! Lol
Happy quilting