Happy Days Quilting

A blog about Applique and Quilting

Monday 6 January 2014

Oakshott Applique quilt

Well I wanted the quilting to be puffy but ended out with more puff than I anticipated, I used the same double layer of batting on my pickle dish quilt and had no trouble but because I didn't like the quilt as much after I washed it as it went all crinkly, I hand washed the batting before using it again (even though its not recommended)
I also quilted it in the wrong order which hasn't helped, complete fools don't rush to quilt the outside design they start in the middle and work outwards.
My plan was to do some straight line cross hatch type of quilting to compliment the curve border but if I do that on the machine I will get creases, so plan b is to hand quilt it hoping that it will lay flat, as I have never hand quilted anything before that idea might not work out either, any advice would be welcome at this point :)
I am linking this post to design wall monday over at Patchwork Times (sorry that this is not an active link my phone isn't up to it.)

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

if you hand quilt using a hoop you will be able to pull the creases out as you go - start in the middle and work your way out - when you finish what I would do is wash it again and dry it - you might get more shrinkage and crinkles but this would help to hide any imperfections that you feel are there.

Angie in SoCal said...

Beautiful quilt. I liek the puffy look.

Barb in Mi said...

Fabulous applique - I love it!

Joan said...

That is really beautiful :)